The awkward gift-giving moment is very common and there is hardly any person who doesn’t face this type of situation. Gift exchanging is an ancient tradition and giving and receiving gifts has made different occasions like birthdays, weddings, holidays, Christmas, and other occasions, special and memorable. However, there is no denying the fact that gift-giving can sometimes create a pretty awkward situation. So, how do you avoid being awkward while giving gifts?
There are lots of ways you can give a gift without being awkward like stock enough gifts in the holiday season or while arranging a big party. If you don’t get a gift in return try to be happy and polite to ease the situation. You should also consider the gift recipient’s value while choosing a gift.
It’s not the end of the world to face the awkward gift-giving moment but there are ways to avoid this situation so why face it, right? Keep reading the article to know how to give someone a gift without being awkward!
Ways to Avoid Awkward Gift Giving Moments
1. Choose the Right Gift
No matter what you do, if you don’t choose the right gift you will face the consequences. So it’s better not to give a present than giving a wrong gift. While choosing a gift there are few things that you should take into consideration- such as the occasion, gift recipient’s type, their needs, hobbies, dislikes, color choice, and many more. Here is some effective gift for choosing tips:
- If you are shopping gifts for your friends or family members, make sure you pick something that they need. People appreciate receiving useful things from their closest friends and family members because they believe you know their wishes.
- You have to think differently while shopping gifts for those special people in your life with whom you’re romantically engaged. You have to be creative and think of all types of options from decorative to romantic stuff.
- When shopping gifts for co-workers or boss make sure you choose something appropriate that suits their personality. If you don’t know your colleagues that much then avoid giving funny things. Don’t create any awkward moment by offending someone.
2. Keep a Stock of Gifts
It’s not a great experience when someone hands you a gift but you don’t have anything in exchange. You might face this type of situation in holidays or while arranging big parties. So prepare yourself for the holidays and store a few gifts for emergencies to avoid awkward gift-giving moments. Also, make sure you keep an eye on the gift list while organizing big parties because there is so much going around that you might forget to buy a gift or two. However, if you face this type of situation then be honest, show your appreciation for their gift, and tell them how embarrassed you are for not able to give them anything.
3. Prepare yourself for No Gift
Showing shock and disbelief for not receiving any gift in exchange can lead to the awkward gift-giving moments. Just remember that if you can forget to buy a gift because of a busy schedule or time limit, others can also do the same mistake; isn’t that right? If you show any negative emotion then the person will feel truly uncomfortable. You have to keep in mind that no is obliged to give gifts. Gift giving is a personal decision and you can’t force a person to give you a gift. So make yourself prepared for no gift situation and lower your expectation. This way you will not feel disappointed as well as won’t make other people feel bad.
4. Be Gracious no Matter what the Situation is
If you want to avoid being awkward while giving a gift, then remain happy or try to be happy regardless of the situation. Show your appreciation for the gift you have received and tell the person how happy you are for their gift. On the other hand, if you are giving the gift then try not to show any displeasure because of the possible reaction from the gift receiver. You know, you have tried your best to pick the appropriate gift for that particular person so there is no need to disappoint yourself. Don’t make a mistake by giving a hint about the gift you are planning to buy. The reaction from the gift recipient can create confusion about whether should buy the item or not.
5. Try to be Polite
Many people make themselves stressful just thinking about what to say when giving a gift or exchanging gifts; isn’t that sound ridicules? Well, it might sound ridicules but it’s a true fact. The most important thing is to remain polite when you are giving a gift or receiving a gift from someone. Be polite and everything else will come to you according to the situation. You can show your gratitude and express good wishes for them.
There are a few words that you can exchange when giving someone a present or receiving a gift from someone:
6. What To Say in Informal Situations When You Give a Gift
- Look what I have for you!
- I got you something. I hope you like it
- I thought you might like this for (the reason)
- Happy (occasion name); Here’s a little gift/present for you
- It’s only something small, but I hope you like it
- Here’s a little present for you
7. What To Say In Formal Situations While Giving a Gift
- [Name], I’d like to give you this present
- [Name], this is a present that I got you
- Here is a token of our appreciation
- I’d like to present you with this (item name)
8. What To Say As Gift Receiving Phrases
- Thank you so much!
- That’s so kind!
- You shouldn’t have!
- Thank you! It’s beautiful.
- That is so thoughtful of you. It matches my…….perfectly
- Thank you. I really needed a………
- This is exactly what I needed!
- How kind of you! I’ve always wanted to………
Have you found the above suggestions helpful? What do you think of these tips? Is there any other suggestion I have left that you think should be included in the article. Feel free to share your opinion in the comment section. I will take a look at it!